Thursday, December 22, 2011

A new direction

I would like to say that I have found inspiration or I am doing something totally and completely new and maybe I am, but maybe just new to me. I have decided to write about something that I enjoy talking about and truly enjoy doing. READING. I am going to write about books I have read and am currently reading. The goal is a book a week. If I don't read a book a week, and I usually take less than that to read a book, I will simply go back to a book I have read on the past and talk about that. All of this being said I want this to become a kind of review/conversation about books. I mostly read fiction and do not really stick to any one genre. I have my favorite authors and try to branch out but often fail miserably when I do. Those failures might be something that I talk about, but the best part will be the successes. The books that surprise me with their awesomeness, will be the treats and the thing that keeps me writing. I am not trying to win a prize or even really inspire others. I am really just trying to write down my thoughts on the books I read so that when I am old, bald, and senile I can look back and remember what it was that I loved about reading. I have recently read some really great books, and some "okay" book, but rarely do I bother finishing the terrible boring books (Nicholas Sparks exempted) that I have trouble making it past the first few chapters. I am going to list some of my favorite authors in nor particular order:
John Grisham (Yeah yeah, it's the same story, the same characters, and oftentimes in the same locations, but when he branches out he creates truly amazing stories, ie A Painted Houe)
Stephen King (except the Dark Tower Series, what a waste)
JK Rowling
Dan Brown
Michael Durant (not a fiction writer or really even a writer, but tells an amazing story)
Mark Terry (Jack Bauer type of stories)
Suzanne Collins (I really just mean The Hunger Games books)
Clive Cussler (When I want some cheap entertainment)
Frank Perretti (Stephen King + Jesus = Frank P.)
The Twilight stories, not the writing or the author, just the idea of the story. even the execution sucked.
Francine Rivers (what a great storyteller)
Brad Meltzer
This is just a sample and I hope to begin to branch out. I am going to try and read The Kite Runner and hopefully it works out and doesn't suck. Happy reading to all.

1 comment:

  1. 1) i love this idea! only... you haven't written in awhile.
    2) PLEASE you and Missy should read: Freddy and Fredericka! It was one of the best works of fiction I have read in years. Its beautiful. Hilarious. And just... read it!
    also
    3) A thousand SPlindid Suns I liked better than Kite Runner. Both are heartbreakingly beautiful.
    4) does missy or anyone else beside me read your blog?!?! ha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to be as open as you want. Please refrain from personal attacks. I will never personally attack you. I do welcome constructive criticism and healthy conversation. I do allow anonymous comments, but leaving your name adds credibility. I will delete comments that attack me or other people who comment.